Sunday 5 June 2011

Jack Whitehall: The New Comedian

I am becoming very excited about this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival, and, beginning to plan what must be my fifth visit to the festival, I must admit, I've been doing a bit of research as to who I'd like to see and which acts to avoid. Indeed, although am a keen theatre goer and revel in the dramatic side of the Fringe, it has always been the comedy which I have enjoyed the most. From 'The Oxford Revue' to improvised comedians 'The Noise Next Door', it is these performances which I have seen every year and enjoyed the most. And, after seeing a certain comedian on various stand up shows such as 'Live at the Apollo' and 'Comedy Roadshow', as well as in interviews - my favourite being his second appearance on 'The Graham Norton Show' with another love of mine, Adele, and Miranda Hart (see below - part 1 only) - I was keen to look him up, and was thus given inspiration for this post.



Far less known for his stint as a presenter on 'Big Brother's Big Mouth' in 2008, and again in 2009, than as 'that posh comedian who went to school with Robert Pattinson', Jack Whitehall certainly promises to be big. Privately educated Whitehall holds a certain comic genius not seen since Michael McIntyre first hit the stage: the elaborate gestures, the playing up to the the middle-class back ground. Indeed, although his style can perhaps, like McIntyre's, be a bit over the top, his flamboyance works, and is, in fact, the essence of his success, as shown by his 'America's Next Top Model' impression below. Hilarious.



That is not to say that he is not flawed. At only twenty-two, his style does perhaps need refining. What is more, his limited repertoire can only indicate his lack of life, and comic, experience. However, these things can only come with time, and I am certain that Jack Whitehall is a comic face we're going to see a lot more of.


No comments:

Post a Comment